Half Duplex NIC and No More Stuttering

I'm a new user of MJ and have been having problems with jittery voices. Here are some things I did:

1) disable USB power management
2) hard set MTU of TCP/IP stack (I'm on DSL - set mtu to 1406)
3) set to high the priority of the MJ process
4) disable TCP checksum offloading on the network card. Several times I have seen performance problems with this feature turned on - not all network cards have this feature
5) disable all power management within Windows XP (usb, harddrive, etc)
6) Accept TigerJet update from Windows update. I'm on SP3.

Nothing seemed to help. So I hard set the speed and duplex to 10/half and that seemed to do the trick. No real need for 100mb since DSL is only 3mb. Setting card to half duplex moves the flow control from the nic driver to the nic hardware.

Anyway, this just could be a coincidence and this change did nothing to help. But my packet captures show the stuttering voices arrive to the machine that way untouched by the MJ dongle or software. It's highly likely that the MJ servers are just overloaded and nothing on our end can fix that.


Just wanted to share this.


Something I did that I don't hear many people mention was.

Click start, Run, Then type msconfig hit enter
In the general tab click "selective startup"

Then click the start up tab and uncheck any unnecessary programs that dont need to load on start up (I had a lot of unchecking)
Make sure you dont uncheck anything that has to do with your Magicjack.

Click apply, and restart.
Crystal clear calls for me since.
This has worked on 5 or 6 computers that are running magic jack with same results.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.